Many of my favorite healthy and tasty recipes are inspired by my clients. I love it when they take our nutrition coaching ideas into the kitchen and dream up new, fun ways to eat clean. This one is a winner from my rock star client Geoff. In addition to having the best animated Elmo gifs he also has the best reinvention of this classic comfort food that I call "Me Pretty" Mac & Cheese.
What to do
- Boil water and follow cooking instructions on the box of your favorite "healthy" pasta. I suggest whole wheat macaroni but you can use any shape or try a different type such as black bean or another low carb option. To make four servings, use 1/2 the box and save the other half for next time. Watch your serving sizes if you are watching your kcals/macros.
- Strain pasta but save 1/2 cup of the pasta water in a cup. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbs olive oil to a skillet and warm over medium/high heat. Add any veggies you like. Start by sautéing onions and bell peppers. Once softened add tomatoes (I used canned but you can add chopped cherry tomatoes). Then add some green leafy veggies like a bag of kale or baby spinach.
- Add your protein. I suggest chicken and keeping it simple. You can pick up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and pull off the meat and add to the skillet. Or you can add a box of Brat Hans Organic Chicken Strips. Or just poach some chicken breasts by boiling in water for 15 minutes, shredding and throwing in there. Start with two 8oz chicken breasts and adjust up/down based on your kcal/macro goals.
- Add a few tablespoons of the pasta water and stir it all together. Add about 1 cup of feta and salt/pepper to taste. You can also squeeze 1/2 lemon over the whole thing.
- Let it all sit for 5-10 minutes to cool and come together.
- Serve with a simple side salad.