One of my nutrition coaching clients in Rochester, New York recently pleaded with me to create a hot and hardy recipe to help her make it through the cold months ahead. Nothing is more warming and filling than lasagna! So my amazing Greek meal prep guru and partner Peter worked out this FANTASTIC adaption of traditional lasagna using eggplant instead of noodles. It's relatively easy to make and when you do you can get at least six solid meals out of it that are easy to save and re-heat for lunches and dinners. So if you're craving some comfort food give this one a try.
What You'll Need
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 bag mushrooms (optional)
- 1 jar of your favorite organic tomato sauce
- 1 bag of organic shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2lbs of lean ground turkey (you can use any meat like pork or beef, tofu or skip it)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Large lasagna tray (if you don't have one, invest the $20 and get one)
What to Do (Step by Step Pictures Below)
- Warm two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium/high heat and brown the meat until there is no pink.
- Slice the eggplants into thin semi-circles.
- In your lasagna dish add layers of:
- Eggplant circles
- Tomato sauce
- Bake uncovered for 60-75 minutes at 375 degrees until bubbling.
- Sprinkle one cup of shredded mozzarella on top and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Calories and Macros
See below for how to enter the entire tray into MyFitnessPal under "My Meals". And then you can simply add how much you eat into your daily food log. For instance, below are the macros for 1/6 of the tray (0.1666).
Step By Step Photos